Friday, January 26, 2024

Contests

AKA "Friday News Dump"

Or, rather, it would have been (a Friday news dump), if I had been on the ball today.

Let's get right to brass tacks. I feel like a heel for failing to mention this earlier, but Ben Gibson is currently running an adventure writing contest that ends on the 31st. I should definitely have mentioned this earlier, but the thing has a limit of two pages, which many would-be designers can bang out in a weekend. And guess what? You've got a weekend left. Get to it!

So who the heck is Ben Gibson? He's an adventure cobbler himself, who's written some well reviewed pieces, most (all?) of which are of the "short form" variety. Spent some time today downloading and reading things like The Fall of Whitecliff and Night at Fausen's Manor...3E/Pathfinder stuff that reminds me (somewhat) of the best of the old One Page Dungeon Contest (which might still be going on, but I'm not paying attention). Anyhoo...no wonder he's chosen the small format for his contest...if anyone's qualified to judge such stuff, he'd be. Heck, reading it nearly entices me to play a little 3E...except that I still remember what 3E turns into after 7th level or so.

[spoiler: a crapshow, that's what]

Still, for low level stuff, those adventures have definite conversion material/potential. Anyway, I'm going to try to get something in for his contest before Wednesday (the deadline); that's doable, right? Just have a basketball game, a soccer game, volleyball practice, etc., etc.

[somehow, I got tagged with coaching 7th/8th grade volleyball this year. I haven't played volleyball since 1987, when I WAS in 8th grade! *sigh*]

I am sorry I haven't been keeping up with the blog posts in the New Year...I've been distracted. NFL playoffs, and football coaches disappearing from the local teams and eager awaiting of news on those fronts have me glued to my radio while doing menial chores around the home. It's silly; it's distracting. 

*ugh* I don't have time to talk about this right now. Okay, I'm going to amend the title of my post. Get your contest submission in, if you have the chance (five more days!). I haven't yet put pen to paper, so it's not like you'd be lagging far behind Yours Truly...just get something in.

Yak at you all later. Later!
; )

8 comments:

  1. Aw, be fair. 3e doesn't become a total crapshow until 9th, maybe even 10th. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right: that IS a more accurate proclamation.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the heads up. Sent a piddly offering to the contest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe "piddly" is all he's looking for.
      ; )

      Delete
  3. The coaching changes this year have been crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will (perhaps) be the subject of my next post.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Next time I see one of these, I'll publicize it sooner.

      Delete