Sunday, October 23, 2022

Playoffs

About a month ago I posted a long scribbling with regard to my son's school soccer season. Again...this is his school season, a season that lasts only seven weeks, and that features a bunch of kids who (for the most part) only play this sport seven weeks out of fifty-two. As I've been coaching these kids for six years now, I care about these kids. Because I've got a competitive streak and actually enjoy soccer, I also give a shit about how they perform and the results.

The season's been...tough. As in stressful. We won four games (yes, including the game I was stressing out about in that last post). We had one game cancelled (due to poor air quality). We tied one game (neither Diego nor I were at the game and the head coach...well, it wasn't his finest effort). 

And yesterday we were beaten 3-1 in the pouring rain at an 8am game time in the cold and dark after a two week layoff.

Today starts the playoffs. We are the #4 seed. Game kicks off in two hours. We will be playing the same team that I was worried about facing in my "soccer haze" post...when we were down to 12 players and missing most of our defensemen. We squeaked that one out 4-3 (I played Diego in the backfield a LOT for that game). Today we have everyone. Season will either end today or continue to tomorrow's semi-final.

Okay, got to go feed my kid now.

3 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed for the result. My team only managed a two-two draw yesterday. After being in the lead twice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Ours ended 2-2, played two overtime periods, and went to PKs.

      Final 2-1 on PKs; we won. Diego shot 4th (after three teammates skied the ball over the goal) and equalized with a no doubt rocket. Their goalie got a hand on our anchorman's goal, but the momentum carried him into the net (kid...Luke...has a monster leg).

      A really gritty win. The parents bought me a nice bottle of gin as a post-season gift. Semi-final tomorrow at 4:30.

      Delete
  2. Making it to the playoffs means you got a chance. Good Luck. Win or lose sports build character.

    ReplyDelete