Saturday, April 25, 2015

Poison and Ant-Man

[Saturday morning pop culture post]

I woke up at 3:30 in the morning because I'd had a dream that Bret Michaels and C.C. DeVille had died and it kind of freaked me out. I had to (foggily) check the internet to make sure they were still alive (they are). I don't know why this was so important to me...I am not now and never have been a fan of Poison or their music. But it was reassuring nonetheless.

Not as godawful as Warrant, but same ballpark...
It's like it's nice to know that there are some terrible things that exist in our world yet remain mostly harmless.

In other news...the new Star Wars trailer has been out for a while and people who care have probably already seen it multiple times. My own thought is that, while badass, it's jarring to see Harrison Ford in his original role...though I'm not sure if it's because of the age he currently sports, or because I've watched "Han Solo" so many hundreds of times over the years that it's weird to see him (again) at all.

[I'm also reminded that the Star Wars films have always been aimed at a younger audience (i.e. children) and wonder again what Abrams' film will look like in the final cut. Diego is VERY excited]

I'd say two thumbs up. But that's me.
What's more exciting (to me, anyway) is the latest Ant-Man trailer. As I mentioned previously, I've always liked Ant-Man (much more so than some of Marvel's other, low-powered heroes...like Hawkeye), and this thing keeps looking cooler and cooler. Check it out! It shows so much more promise than DC's latest offering-to-be (sorry).

Okay, that's it. The weekend's on. Wish there was some baseball to watch.

[oh, wait...just caught the first episode of the new Daredevil Netflix series...but I'll save that for another post. I like Ant-Man, but Daredevil's in the Top 5]

4 comments:

  1. Curious about your take on the new DD series. I'm up to episode 8 as of last night, and I'm really enjoying it. The first episode was a bit blah for me, but from the second episode it had me hooked.

    And back in the day (high school for me), I actually liked Warrant more than Poison, but can't say I was heavy into either band. Most of my friends/classmates were into all the glam rock bands, but I was listening to Hendrix, Zeppelin, Dylan, Joplin, stuff like that. Still, glad to know that Bret and C.C. are OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Dennis:

      I think DD will be the subject of today's post. I am completely in agreement with you re episodes 1 and 2 (I'm just finishing up #5 at the moment).

      I'm not sure the existence of Poison or Warrant makes the world "a better place," but it makes me feel better (strangely) that they're still alive and rocking their trashiness. I had been reading up on the Lynyrd Skynyrd (Ronnie Van) tragedy and Gerry Rafferty's untimely demise the day before, and that probably contributed to my dream.

      Delete
    2. I got to meet Firehouse a couple of years back when I was doing a local radio gig here in Busan. They're pretty cool guys, and just out there having fun and playing gigs and enjoying life, from the way they talk. Their managers rolled their eyes a lot whenever they mentioned songs from their 90's glory days, but they're living their dream, which is cool.

      And it is sort of comforting, in a Big Lebowski way, to know they're still out there, taking it easy for the rest of us.

      Delete