Thursday, April 21, 2016

Prince R.I.P.

Prince..the musician, the virtuoso, the genius...died today.

The first album I purchased with my own money was Purple Rain (on cassette), many years ago. The last actual CD I purchased (probably 7 or 8 years ago) was one of his later albums. My best friend growing up (and co-DM of my longest running AD&D campaign) was a die-hard Prince fan...she used to give me all the latest gossip on his life. The girl I used to kill half racks of beer with in college while playing Super Tecmo all night was a slavering Prince fan who had bootleg copies of his "experimental films" that we used to watch when we were absolutely hammered.

He was a nut job, but he was perhaps the greatest musical performer of...well, I don't know where or how to rank him. He could dance as well as Michael Jackson, but I never saw Michael play guitar like Prince. And he made some really great music over the years. Really great.

Gosh. Bowie and Prince in the same year. But Prince was really too young. I suppose they both were. Sad news for the world. Will purple ever be as vibrant again?

[writing from Buenos Aires on my phone]

3 comments:

  1. I am dumbfounded to be honest. Loosing Prince is just too much for words really. Like Bowie, I just assumed he was immortal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am dumbfounded to be honest. Loosing Prince is just too much for words really. Like Bowie, I just assumed he was immortal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Tim:

    Yeah. I suppose I figured he'd outlive me (though he was 15 years older)...or at least he'd live into his 70s or something. I mean, how old is Jagger? Keith Richards is still alive...

    It's...ugh. It's just sad. For us, I mean...the ones who enjoyed his tunes. I'm sure Prince is doing fine, wherever he is. In the "ethereal realms" or whatever.

    ReplyDelete