Tuesday, March 15, 2011

On With The Show


My revisions are all complete. I'm considering getting rid of all ammunition types except for normal, "non-lethal" (gel rounds, etc.), and "high velocity" (the latter stolen from Ghost in the Shell). This would allow me to cut out a bunch of additional rules/fiddly-ness regarding HE, AP, dum-dums, ballistic armor, etc., etc.

Or as Luke put it in last week's game (when asked, 'what kind of ammo did you buy for your sniper rifle?'):

"I bought the correct type of ammo for this kind of job."

Enough said, right? Hell, I've got a dozen types of grenades and explosive devices anyway...do I need half a dozen different ammo types?

Now granted, I don't have a list of magic items and potions in the game, so I don't mind taking up more pages with an extended equipment list (compared to, say, B/X). However, to paraphrase D30's comment in my last post, magic potions change how you think about approaching the game...different ammo types are just exercises in granularity that beg for min-maxing data crunching that this game is NOT supposed to be about.

Goddamnit...I'm doing it. It'll cut half a page (or more) of text, but I can always use the space for an extra illustration.
: )

I should probably get rid of f'ing "sliver guns," too...if you want a concealable firearm that shoots a spread of fire, saw-off that shotgun, pal.

Cuts, cuts, cuts...it's not like I couldn't do a Weapons Compendium sourcebook or something later. Sheesh...that's just MORE money in the bank!
; )

8 comments:

  1. My vote would be to keep flechettes, but, you know it's you game, and it wouldn't prevent me from buying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like flechettes purely because Gibson always made them sound really badass. I've yet to fire mine in the game, though, so maybe it's not all that.

    Aside from that, the minutia of managing various kinds of ammo sounds like Weapon vs. Armor Type or some similarly-tedious system. Unless it's "this bullet lights shit on fire", or something, I wouldn't miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should keep the extra ammo types and guns. If there isn't at least a part of the game that is a little fiddly, especially when it comes to guns, people will just get bored and play something else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ C'nor: that's what I like to hear!

    @ IG:

    "...bullets that light shit on fire..."

    I should TOTALLY put those in the game!
    ; )

    In which book does Gibson write about flechette guns? It's been a while since I've read Johnny Zed.

    @ Dan: Well, I think people SHOULD play a variety of games...
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought Neuromancer had flechette rounds...

    Keep the ammo types. Consider it your version of a 'pole-arms fetish'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "He's using HV rounds in a submachine pistol?! He's insane!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the hard work. Teleporting you cupcakes now. Enjoy and keep up the great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Whisk: Mmm! If only! Thanks!
    : )


    @ Ryan: You grok me completely.
    ; )

    @ E. Nelson: That's the best reason yet! But I may substitute "explosives fetish" for "ammo fetish."

    ReplyDelete