Sunday, February 21, 2010

Did You Ever Wonder...

...if George Lucas had to come to some sort of settlement agreement with Larry Elmore for completely ripping off the clumsy, humorous zeetvah race when creating his "gungan" species for Star Wars (that's Jar-Jar Binks, folks...you know, the most hated CGI creation of all time?).

I love SnarfQuest. I used to have the graphic novel compiling the first couple years' comic strips from Dragon. I don't know whatever happened to it. It sure did make me laugh a lot.

Ahh...gagglezoomers.
: )

[BTW: I refuse to post a picture of Jar-Jar on this web site]

6 comments:

  1. You are spot on ... however, I DID post a pick of the gungan ...

    http://thecallofthedungeon.blogspot.com/2008/09/separated-at-birth.html

    :D

    JM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a rumour that the reason that Marvel nabbed the comics licence back in the day was because one of their lawyers pointed out the similarities between Vader and Doctor Doom to one of Lucas' lawyers. I don't know if that has any truth to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Kelvin: Wasn't Doc Doom published prior to Star Wars (circa the 1960s)? Or do you mean this was the REASON Marvel was able to acquire the SW rights back in the day (as opposed to being forced to by Lucas's lawyers)? Yeah that makes more sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did read Snarf at first to look at the hot-chick. Then later, the robot. But, I disliked it largely for same reasons I dislike Jar-Jar. Neither of which is very strong dislike more of a "this is childish, low-brow, slapstick, intelligence insulting humor" dislike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Norm: Huh, I thought much of the humor was pretty funny...especially the antics of the various companions Snarf would pick up along the way. To me, it sure feels a lot like the more whimsical bits of a kid's D&D campaign...
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man Snarfquest was awesome. I thought maybe they had jumped the shark when they went to the future, but it was all awesome.

    Too bad Wormy ended. I could read fat stacks of Wormy and I'm not even a comic book type.

    ReplyDelete