Friday, July 8, 2011

This May Elicit Cries of Scandal From Some...


But I really hope the new Hobbit movie contains at least a few songs in it.

One of the things I really enjoyed in the Rankin/Bass (animated) version of The Hobbit was the music. Sorry, I did. I know it irritates some (my wife can't stand that grating "Greatest Adventure" theme song), but most of the songs were a part of the book (all the goblin tunes, the elves' songs, the dwarves as well). For me, the music lends an almost primeval fantasy feeling to the whole film which makes it a favorite of mine, even to this day. When I re-read the book (as I do on occasion) I invariably find myself humming the tunes from the RB film when I get to Tolkien's poetry.

Anyway, cutting the music out of the new film would make it feel much less like The Hobbit to me. I would like to see the film end up as a good fantasy adventure story, not some slick badass action film with dwarves and elves and wizards.

But that's just me.

17 comments:

  1. I'm with you. You can't beat a good chorus of "Down, Down to Goblin Town".

    ReplyDelete
  2. If they don't at least include "Chip the Glasses and Crack the Plates", then I will feel a bit cheated, but the elf songs are also high on the list of "they should be there".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally I am holding out for Fifteen Birds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLVgGADHg60&feature=player_embedded

    ReplyDelete
  4. 100% agree with you - it needs the songs from the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PJ did include a few songs in the extended DVD versions of LotR that were cut from the theatrical release. I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of the songs make it into the Hobbit films.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not The Hobbit if there aren't any songs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The songs in the Rankin/Bass HOBBIT rule!

    "Down, Down, to Goblin Town!" is my fave.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I guess that's it then. You are dead to me. DEAD. TO. ME.

    Though to be serious, I don't mind the presence of people singing in movies just as long as it actually sounds like normal people singing (i.e. NOT like the ewok celebration singing at the end of Return of the Jedi) and doesn't turn the movie into a musical. I hate those things; it's what makes Disney cartoons and the like unwatchable by me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to have a record of Tolkien reading his poetry and singing some of his songs. I wonder if they have made it into a CD?

    ReplyDelete
  10. JasonZavoda: Perhaps this is what you are thinking of?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Agreed. Please let there be singing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also agree. I was a fan of the cartoon before I read the book, so to me that was the Hobbit.
    When I got old enough to read the book and the songs were actually in there, it made all that much cooler.
    Nothing wrong with a song or two. It demonstrates the culture of Middle Earth.
    Chip the glasses! Crack the plates!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not from the hobbit, but here's me lip synching a song from the animated ROTK. :) hehe.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBMJjpZJMyU&feature=channel_video_title

    Down Down to Goblin Town is a great tune though as well. :) hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought the songs in the cartoon were good fun as well. :) I think we're in good company.

    I do like when bands pick up the songs and do things with them, such as: http://youtu.be/JyuJP9bgs74

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved the songs in the cartoon. During my teen years the cartoon movie was my go-to movie for watching when I was sick and needed to take an afternoon nap! I would watch a little fall asleep to the songs and then wake up later and finish the movie!

    ReplyDelete