Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Snowed In

Old Man Winter hit Seattle a bit last night and I had a helluva' time getting out of downtown...mainly due to my bus changing its route and not telling me. Consequently I didn't get home till after 8 and when I did, I looked like a refugee from the Hoth system.

After trudging up 85th with biting snow crystals whipping my face and choking my throat (and watching three cars slide into each other and on the sidewalk), I've decided to take a "personal day" and stay the hell home from work.

Well...from the work that pays the bills anyway.

I AM going to be writing (not blogging I'm afraid) over the next couple days. In fact, that's what I've been doing the last couple. It's amazing how slow things go when you're used to doing the stream-o-consciousness thing and you're suddenly trying to write-up rules and procedures in some semblance of coherent order.

Ah, well...who am I to complain? The wind has died down this morning which means the beagles are finally ready and willing to get out in the yard and "frolic" and the cable's totally knocked out so there's no 600 channels to distract me (my wife, on the other hand, is a little more bummed...I have the Star Wars movies on DVD at least). Hope everyone's doing well and that any holiday preparation is devoid of stress for y'all!
: )

11 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. It's -29C here today, with snow up to our knees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People in Seattle will abandon their vehicles on the freeway if there's an inch of snow on the ground. Noted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wise decision, my friend. It sounds like Seattle with snow is like East Texas with snow...no one knows how to drive so everything shuts down.

    Have a great Thanksgiving yourself!

    btw, no LotR-Extended on DVD? That'd keep you occupied as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our snow is due at the weekend. It's only going to be a centimetre or so, if that, but the excitement is palpable already!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah Seattle, how I miss thee sometimes. Actually, northern Italy suffers the same fate when it snows. Well, actually, Italians are kinda crazy drivers so you have the folks that completely stop and the rest that think it is an open invitation to practice their skills as a formula one racer. So when it snows, I too take a personal day and work on projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My share of the snow is apparently moving in Friday. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Anthony: Of course I have the entire extended edition Lord o the Rings trilogy on DVD! I am a GIANT NERD after all. However, I don't want to distract myself with non-SciFi right now.

    @ Johnathan: I have driven in Spain and in Mexico, but I refuse to drive in Italy, snow or no snow. Hell, some towns it's tough to even be a pedestrian!

    @ Pal: I thought about posting a link to your web site to show people what REAL winter looks like.
    : )

    @ Fumers: Hopefully you have a garage...I would not park my car on the street (especially Phinney Ridge!) in this kind of weather!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Taking a snow day, I love that. Did you get some good writing done? I hope that you did.

    I used to live where there was hardly any snow. Now I live where we get buckets of it.

    Have a nice week and I hope you get tons of good writing done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. about how bilbo baggins ruined everything:

    bilbo was an exception to the rule. that's what the people of d&d didn't understand. a good race-class example is StarWars D6, showing Ewoks as a simple fighting race-class.

    btw.. awesome posts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Happy W: a few choice pages, though the last two days have been spent celebrating family and gluttony!
    ; )

    @ Dumuzi: Thanks! and thanks for reading.
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to hear you got some pages in. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete