Saturday, July 18, 2009

Words From The Experts...


Most important, the characters in the wilderness campaign do not exist in a vacuum. The DM should have events goings on elsewhere that may affect (or be affected by) the actions of the players. There may be any number of "plots" going on at once, and the DM should try to involve each player in some chain of events. These should develop logically from the actions of those involved.  IT IS IMPORTANT NOT TO FORCE THE ACTION TO A PRE-DETERMINED CONCLUSION. The plot lines can ALWAYS be adjusted for the actions of the players.


- From the Introduction to the Dungeons and Dragons Expert set (David Cook and Steve Marsh, 1981), page X4


The emphasis is the Cook's and Marsh's emphasis, not mine. 

What do ya' know...in 1981 there were explicit instructions not to railroad characters into the DM's plots. Yet another indication that B/X is the best-of-the-best. Bravo, folks.

4 comments:

  1. It really is the best, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a doubt in my mind, man. Hell, if it weren't so great it would not have got me so deep into the hobby...deep enough that more than 25 years later, I've yet to extricate myself.
    : )


    To paraphrase, Robert Downey Jr.:

    "D&D is like a loaded gun in my mouth, and I love the taste of metal."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Horrible para-quote for the hobby, by a big LOL nonetheless. ;)

    I'm still digging B/X after nearly 30 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know; what can I say...
    : )

    ReplyDelete