Thursday, August 6, 2026

Making Choices

First, a bit of personal history. 

My introduction to Palladium RPGs came care or Erick Wujcik's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Other Strangeness, circa 1985 or '86. As with most of my RPG purchases in the '80s, this was something I picked up at The Book Exchange (used book store) in Missoula, Montana while visiting family for the Thanksgiving holiday...something we did every year. I'd already been introduced to the TMNT comics by a friend (an acquaintance from Boy Scouts) and this was back in the days before they'd become a punchline/media franchise. 

*sigh* The good old days...

Anyway, my brother and I made some characters and ran some fights over the holiday, but that was about it. TMNT went on the shelf when we got home, my gaming group still firmly in the TSR universe of AD&D and Marvel Superheroes.

Flash forward to '88/'89. I am a freshman at Seattle Prep high school with nary a friend to my name. My gaming group had broken up over the summer, and my prospects for gaming are lukewarm at best...I can run games for my younger brother and his middle school buddies (which I do a little of) or I can "solo game" (which is not to my taste). Instead, I go about the painful business of putting myself out there and trying to create a new social circle as your standard self-conscious, self-doubting adolescent while simultaneously being overwhelmed by the sheer size and scope of high school. However, I am fortunate to be placed in homeroom class that features "the smart kids" (since we all tested into the higher math) and here I meet some kids who play RPGs...specifically, Michael, Ben, and Mike. 

These three have been best friends for years (Ben and Mike are twin brothers), and they are into all sorts of nerd stuff, especially comic books and Robotech. In fact, if memory serves, they were playing the Robotech RPG (or discussing it) which led me to ask them what game they were talking about, as my knowledge of "anime" ended with the Star Blazers serial I had watched (on occasion) as a kid of 7 or 8. The trio introduced me to the show (loaning me videos to watch) and the RPG, another Palladium jam; however, I never had a chance to play with them as they were just running a short campaign. 

These guys were very much Siembieda super-fans...at least when it came to game design. Of course they knew (and had played) AD&D, but Palladium was their system of choice, and being comic book junkies, Heroes Unlimited was their main drug of choice. And not just HU; they were using TMNT, Ninjas & Superspies, and Transdimensional TMNT (and, perhaps, After the Bomb) all to fuel their campaign. Reading through their books introduced me to the Palladium 'universal' system, which I found remarkably interesting and exciting, in a way that GURPS (which a buddy owned in middle school) never had. I started to realize that games like TMNT and Beyond the Supernatural (which had been demo'd for me a couple years earlier) were all related...and compatible!...with this comic-driven super-system.

One of these days, I'll write a  more in-depth "profile" post on these guys; suffice is to say, they gave me a "gamer lifeline" at a time when I very much needed it, and while I didn't get the opportunity to play with them as much as I'd have liked, it was enough to keep me sane, and I'll always be grateful and appreciative of them. Even as we've gone our separate ways in life, I have fond memories of those guys.

ANYway. When it comes to HU, they played Heroes Unlimited Revised, which was really the second edition of the game...pretty confusing because there's an even larger, later version of the game called Revised Second Edition (or just 2E); I think many folks just like to ignore the first edition was even a game...and it's not that easy to come by, as I've discussed before.

But have it I do...as well as a copy of Revised (my first introduction to the game) as well as Second Edition, a real monstrosity of a book that incorporates a lot of extra material that makes the system even more "universal" -- i.e. compatible with Palladium's flagship game, Rifts. All three versions of HU are different enough to refer to them as different systems, although the casual observer might disagree. Of course, the casual observer probably considers OD&D, AD&D, and AD&D 2E to be (largely) the same system, and I'd smack them about the head & shoulders with my books for claiming such.

Let's go ahead and distinguish the three (because, inevitably, someone will ask me to do so in the comments); I will talk only about the rules, not the layout, inclusion/exclusion of adventures, comprehensibility, etc. (if that kind of thing interests you, the later books are worse than the earlier books):
1st edition Heroes Unlimited: characters with superpowers get ONE power; only nine power categories (no magic); skill selection is much more granular and education based; no class-specific abilities -- physical training, hardware, and special training characters are simply skill based; ranged combat is more "realistic"/fiddly; includes rules for occupations/jobs, law enforcement (all later removed).

Revised Heroes Unlimited: adds magic category to make ten power types; addition of class specific features; hardware adds weapons expert and option for multiple specialties; special training divided into five specific/distinct categories; super powers divided into "minor" and "major" and characters may possess multiple powers; mutant animal rules (in abbreviated form) added from TMNT; robot and vehicle combat rules added (cribbed from Robotech); modern/ranged combat system updated; skill system "streamlined" into packages, cutting some skills and adding others; more "stuff" in sections for characters with budgets (bionics, robotics, hardware); adds "Crazy Hero" option and includes a bunch of stuff for making insane characters; experiments add "super soldier" option.

Second Edition Heroes Unlimited: a LOT of "Rift-isms" and "power creep." Physical strength is divided into several distinct categories (normal, extraordinary, superhuman/robot, supernatural). Combat gets an overhaul thanks to Rifts: knockdowns, sprays/straffing, inability to dodge lasers, death blow no longer kills (but can be done at will and takes two actions), more vehicle stuff, etc.; aliens updated with tables from Aliens Unlimited; bionics updated with 'borg conversion rules (Rifts); hardware adds "analytical genius" for people who want to play Tony Stark/Iron Man; magic system changed wholesale to Rifts/BTS PPE system including levels of spells, etc.; physical training divided into two distinct, superhuman twink options; psionics updated to Rifts version so that you can play your cyber-knight character in HU; special training characters beefed up, including an ancient master who now has supernatural strength(!); substantial increases in budgets for characters that use them; includes the mega-hero option allowing the creation of Justice League (or Thor/Hulk) level characters.
While 2E does not substantially increase the number of super-powers available, it should be noted that the "Powers Unlimited" trilogy was written for 2E and contains a large number of new powers (some of them quite good/needed) as well as TEN additional power categories (classes), some of which are specific to the "mega-hero" level of character.

Mm.

It's funny. Those high school buddies that introduced me to Heroes Unlimited never liked the idea of Rifts (unlike ME, who loved it immediately). Well, maybe Michael, a little. But never Ben...and he was always the Palladium game master/guru of the group.

And yet, Ben probably would have LOVED 2E Heroes, had he seen it (so far as I'm aware, he stopped gaming long before it was published). Ben was the real comic book guy; all those cats could draw, but Ben was the only one who went and and became a professional artist. He used to decry how the powers in Revised weren't powerful enough to emulate the characters in Marvel...he even went so far as to develop his own "third tier" of super-powers above "Minor" and "Major" in order to model the X-Men, the Fantastic Four, etc. Ben would have appreciated a mega-hero option.

Me? Well, I appreciate that Siembieda is a business man and he has customers AND fans that he wants/need to please. I"m not going to bitch too much about decisions he makes in the name of keeping his small press company alive. His sustained success over the decades is evidence enough that he's sharper than most of the folks in this industry. That being said....

I've spent a lot of time over the last few days reading and rereading these books. I'm not terribly interested in running a "Franken-brew" system...I simply want ONE book that I can hold up as the "game bible" for my refereeing. Let me focus on building and running the campaign, not cobbling and tinkering with mechanics. 

For my purposes, that means I have to come down to making a choice...and, surprisingly, the choice I"ve decided on is Revised Heroes Unlimited. I say "surprisingly" because going into this project, I assumed I was going to end up going with the original, cut-down version of the system or else the whole hog 2E with all its bells and whistles.

But a funny thing happened on the way to the market (as they say)...I realized that I really didn't need ANY of the new stuff in 2E. Rifts is Rifts, and I don't plan on mixing my post-apocalyptic weirdness in my 70s/80s style comic-world. I certainly don't need the power creep (necessary from a Palladium POV if you want to 'port HU characters into Rifts Earth). Meanwhile, the original version of the game...didn't have enough. I like a lot of what's there, but I need MORE...a more robust amount of content, if I'm going to create a sustainable cmpaign world.

Sound familiar? The original HU is very much like OD&D (except better organized and illustrated); it's not enough on its own, it has holes, it lacks "oomph" in places. It's a first pass...a first try. The Revised version? That's like AD&D. More tested, more solid, incorporating ideas that occurred after the initial offering. 2E HU, on the other hand, is like incorporating the Unearthed Arcana and subsequent books (here: add NWPs and weapons specialization!). No thank you.

So, there you have it...I can put 2E Heroes Unlimited back on the shelf for now, right next to all the Rifts books that I'm not using. Heroes Unlimited Revised will be my ruleset; it is, for the most part, "the Good Parts Version" that will meet my needs. As for the other Palladium books in my collection, several of them are candidates for (eventual) inclusion in my campaign setting:

My Coffee Table At The Moment

Aliens Unlimited Revised: published in 1994, this expands the alien power category, generally in good ways, and helps make the type more distinct from the other, while not succumbing to all the new Rift-isms of the 2E HU rulebook (yes, AUR "includes Rifts conversion notes," but this consists of two paragraphs saying treat all the SDC as MDC. Thanks, Tips).

Beyond The Supernatural: if you're going to add magic, hokum, and goofy woo-woo hoodoo to your game, this is the book to have. I might even replace the "mystic study" subcategory of the magic power type with the Arcanist OCC from BTS (yes, yes, including PPE and all that). Really depends on how "mystical" my campaign ends up becoming. I mean, Dr. Strange was a Defender for a while, wasn't he? First edition BTS only (mainly because my 2E copy is digital and I prefer actual books at the table).

Heroes Unlimited  G.M.'s Guide (2nd Edition): most of what's here is non-useful. The job/salaries, geo-political hot spots, and random crime tables are all stuff that were in the original HU and left out later, and I'm not sure how much I need the random thug/villain tables. I dislike all the "power slam" combat maneuvers, and the extra spells and psychic powers seem fairly extraneous. Eh. Probably a skip unless I get desperate for an adventure (there are several scenarios included, some of which are fairly rough/challenging).

Ninjas & Superspies: Ah, one of my son's favorite RPG books. Personally, I kind of hate it, having some familiarity with real world martial arts, including Aikido, Tae Kwon Do, Hwa Rang Do, and Wing Chun. It adds a LOT of extra fiddly to it, and I dislike turning the physical training character into a martial artist...this archetype was (for me) always best represented by the Megalith character from Continuity Comics. Of course, the nerfing of the ancient master is even more annoying (wtf? he only gets 10th level ninjitsu? That's just six attacks!). As you can see, N&S has actual conversion notes for how to use the game with HU, not only allowing PCs to pick up martial arts (at the costs of big bunches of skills), but allowing N&S OCCs to stand in for specific power categories, including hardware and secret operative. Eh, this one is mostly a pass for me unless someone REALLY wants to play a non-ancient martial artist...and I'm okay with that. Shang-Chi is pretty cool, as is (of course) Iron Fist (though I put the latter more in the "ancient master" category).

Powers Unlimited: There are some good powers here, including battle rage, hardened skin, heavyweight, gateways, and regenerate ultima (I'm also a fan of mega-wings and super consumption, but I'm cheesy like that). This is a good one for creating the occasional NPC character (especially villains) with powers the PCs haven't encountered. I'm okay with that...don't really want to adopt it wholesale.

Powers Unlimited 2: Mm. One of MY favorite books in the franchise...I picked this bad boy up some time around 2009 or so? The delightful thing about this one is NOT the new powers (there are only four, and none worth mentioning), but the new power TYPES (HU's version of 'character classes') that are O So Stellar. I mean, you've got your empowered character (everything from Daredevil to Captain Marvel), your gestalt (Firestar to Swamp Thing), super soldiers (duh), the natural genius (for super-villains like Lex Luthor or Baron Zemo), invention (Ant-Man to Falcon), and...everyone's favorite...the immortal character (from godlings to undead). That is a huge extension of variety for the game, and most of these fill niches that needed to be filled.  I really dig the "minor hero" option, too, as it can easily be used for small-fry supers OR some hero's wunderkind sidekick. Batman's still a bit of a tough character to model in HU, but at least you've got the Boy Wonder potential.

[haha! That reminds back in my early days of making characters for HU, I had a dynamic duo called Dark Knight and Red Boy. I should probably try to rebuilding them, just to see remind myself how frustrating the system can be.  Or how amusing...]

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Other Strangeness: The book that started it all. I have the first printing of the game, and Wujcik does a masterful job with it; of course, the Eastman/Laird artwork doesn't hurt, and the whole thing is about as elegant and self-contained as any Palladium game gets. Has several nice adventure scenarios as well. The anthropomorphic animal thing doesn't appeal to me the same as it did when I was a kid (how could you not want to play a porcupine?), but I'd be willing to use it for anyone interested in playing a mutant animal, expanding on the abbreviated rules found in HU. Just who that interested person might be, I couldn't say...while a human-sized animal that can walk and talk is pretty amazing, it doesn't really classify as "super-powered" in the standard sense. Still...Rocket Raccoon? Really easy build using Bio-E.

Aaaand...that's about it. Recon (and Advanced Recon) use different systems, and Robotech just isn't right for the kind of game I'm envisioning. No giant mecha, thank you (I pivoted, remember?). I DID just receive my copy of the Aliens Unlimited "Galaxy Guide" in the mail today (purchased because I though it might be useful for intergalactic adventures in spaaaaace...a solid cornerstone of most comic book franchises), but I haven't yet had the chance to read it...I'll be doing that this evening and see if it actually fits. The "2nd ed." tag on the front doesn't give me too much confidence, but I never planned on using Palladium's own in-house creations (planets and species and timelines and such); I just wanted FTL spaceship rules. Here's hoping. 

All right, all right...that's enough for now. Later, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment