Monday, August 3, 2026

Playing For The Other Side

As I mentioned (briefly) in yesterday's post, I've been thinking a lot about other RPGs lately...that is to say, RPGs other than D&D. I even had this crazy dream this morning that I was a part of of some classic adventure gaming "organization;" I was on some type of "board of directors," a round table of three to five people, discussing the direction of gaming and such, and I broached the subject of such exploratory ideas, to which I received some raised eyebrows. "Playing for the other side?" they asked. Yeah. "Please," one board guy told me. Please go on or please stop? "Please stop."

That's when I woke up.

Last night I bought Kevin Siembieda a sandwich. Maybe a sandwich and a beer. I'm not sure what food prices are like in Detroit these days, but the price of the book I purchased (on-line) was less than I paid for my dinner entree in Bellingham Friday evening...and Bellingham prices are a LOT cheaper than Seattle. So, maybe a sandwich and a beer; perhaps with an upgrade to a side salad instead of fries. Getting his lunch was the least I could do for him, given all the Palladium content I've been consuming 'on the side,' in recent weeks.

Let me give folks the whole skinny.

Waaaay back in June (after school got out) my son was in Mexico, hanging with los abuelos. At the end of his trip, my wife flew down to be with him and her parents the last few days, leaving my daughter and I to fend for ourselves. Sofia is a different beast from her brother...both kids get a lot of their personality from my wife and I (duh), but they get different aspects from each of us. Sofia, I think it's safe to say, has a  lot more creativity and imagination than her brother. He is very "nuts and bolts," very left-brained, very precise and practical. Sofia, on the other hand, is always leaping ahead to the idea of what to do with knowledge. She gets (more-or-less) the same high marks as her brother in writing or math or science...but then she turns around around and writes stories or starts businesses or makes "inventions." Sometimes, she puts the cart before the horse (she started filming a 'movie' with an old digital camcorder before she wrote a script, for example) but she is very "big picture" oriented. She started a band this summer and roped two of her friends into it, learning songs and writing her own (one of her bandmates only plays the trumpet, so she is writing a "trumpet bit" for a song they're working on. Sofia doesn't play trumpet...).

ANYway. Sofia and I were left on our own, and while I was cleaning the kitchen she flipped on the TV and started watching The Incredibles - a film she's seen before, more than once. But it led both of us down a rabbit hole of binge-watching a ton of superhero movies (mostly Spider-Man and Batman films)...all told, I think we watched half a dozen over a couple-three days. 

Which, of course, is the kind of thing that tends to kick my mind into the "superhero RPG" mode, where I will once again, madly comb through the scores of hero games I have, get frustrated, resolve to write my own, and then set down THAT Quixotic road...which never pans out. This time, I used Google's AI to bounce ideas off, and came up with some really cool mechanics...but then my laptop glitched and I lost everything I'd written. I still have the notes to recreate stuff, but writing is...well, it's work. Figuring out how to turn a phrase, how to explain a concept, how to teach and communicate in a text that will be read by people without you there to mentor them...well, all that takes time and effort and recreating that was more than just "rewriting." So...I punted.

Or, rather, I pivoted. At the same time I was working furiously on supers-related stuff, I also started getting into pulp action stuff. I had pulled my copy of Night Owl Workshop's Raiders of the Lost Artifacts to compare it to their Guardians (supers), and that had perked my interest in a whole swath of pulp-related adventure RPGs. Fact is, my own pulp adventure RPG (a long-term project from "back in the day" when I was running games out of the Baranof) was still on my bench of Things-To-Do. So I was considering THAT, mainly in terms of "early 20th century heroic adventurers" (a la Doc Savage and crew)...a different type of "superhero" game, right? But that wasn't the "pivot." The PIVOT was thinking about old movies and shows I needed to show my daughter (like Tales of the Gold Monkey or High Road to China, etc., etc.) perhaps also brought on by reading of ERB's Tarzan novels simultaneously (natch)...and then REMEMBERING an old Japanimation film from my youth that might be of interest to her. My daughter, in addition to all her other quirks and foibles, is an absolute stan for everything 1980s.

So it was I started down the AI road of looking up something I thought was called "Shogun Warriors," but was actually called Starvengers...at least, it was called that in its English dub version. And THAT led me (via AI queries) down the rabbit-hole of the differences between the "giant robot" genre and the "real robot" genre...which led me to Gundam (which I was aware of, but had never watched). Of course, anything futuristic/war-related is pretty much my wheelhouse. Anyhoo, from there I went back to an old fave of mine: Mike Pondsmith's Mekton Zeta. Bought Pondsmith a sandwich, too (and he lives in Seattle these days, so I know how much a sandwich costs).

From MZ and Gundam, I got back into Cyberpunk 2020 and Appleseed which, of course, led me back to cyborgs, including my own World War Borg which I decided to dust off and refurbish...again, using AI to help me refine and expand some ideas to make a really nice little RPG war game. Or the start of one. 

And then I thought: how exactly does 'borg warfare still make sense in our age of drone strikes, AI, and autonomous weapon systems?

Much depressed (although, to be fair, I DID find a way to make it all coherent), I idly thumbed through my copies of Chrome Berets, Warlords of Russia, Advanced Recon, etc., etc. and then threw on the latest Zock-Bock Radio episode (in English) where Settembrini discusses "classic" BattleTech with New Yorker Sleazy_B, a man whose acquaintance I made at last year's Cauldron convention. Back to the giant robots again (so it seemed) but now with a system I've been intimately familiar with since '86 or thereabouts. Again: my wheelhouse.

As always, the discussion was excellent. I'll say this about the Germans' podcast: compared to what you hear in, say, your average (American) gaming pod, they know their stuff and don't just pull stuff out of their ass. When they talk about what works and why, it's because they've tested it, not theorized about it, and they don't speculate about stuff they don't know, or make assumptions or jump to false conclusions just to get things to have "discussion." For me, it's a breath of fresh air. 

But enough glaze. Here's what I took away from the 'pod: classic Battletech works in the same way and for the same reason that AD&D works: it forces you to live in a world of dollars and cents. Yes, there is the pressure-cooker environment of being "in an endless war" (danger! danger! all around) but you still have to pay the (c-)bills. You need to buy parts. You still need to buy fuel. You still need to buy ammo. People get killed but there're always new recruits to step up and continue the campaign. BT just does a lot of the world building for you...and then the players live in that world. And the GM runs the world. 

AD&D has a larger playground, but the game is the same.

So, while I momentarily had the (very brief) thought of starting up a BattleTech campaign (after all, the box of all my first edition BT books...including MechWarrior...has been sitting under my bed for the last 18 months or so) I quickly discarded the thought. I wanted to play something my daughter would enjoy, and war games (or games based on a war premise) just don't get her jazzed the same way they do the boy and myself. INSTEAD, I started thinking if BattleTech (a simplistic RPG, but still an RPG if you include MW) can function for long-term campaign play, is there a way this can function for other genres of RPG? 

Can it function for (for example) a superhero game?

I've had long-running "supers" games in the past. I did the Marvel thing for a couple-plus years, and I ran a LOT of Vampire (gothic, blood-sucking supers) in the early 90s. These, like many RPGs, have issues that tend to derail long-term play. And yet, comic book universes...comic book titles...can last decades. Before 1990 there were nearly 800 issues of Spider-Man comic between Amazing Spider-Man, Spectacular Spider-Man, Web of Spider-Man, and Marvel Team-Ups. That's not even counting guest appearances and mini-series (like Secret Wars). If every issue was the equivalent of single weekly game session, that would be a 15+ year campaign...that's a ton of gaming even withOUT the other various franchises of the Marvel Universe.  That's a lot of mileage out of one teenager bitten by a radioactive spider having to deal with school issues and romantic entanglements while fighting bad guys.

[and that's just talking about the first 40ish years of the character's life...not the last 36 years of re-boots and re-hashes in various media forms]

In many ways, I'd liken a "comic book universe" like the Marvel franchise to a long-term D&D campaign. Not in terms of premise, but in how the thing grows organically over time, taking on a life of its own. Places like the Baxter Building, Avengers Mansion, that X-Man school in upstate New York, and various factions (the Kingpin's mafia, Shi'Ar aliens, "The Hand" ninja clan, mutant-hunting Sentinels, Ka-Zar's Savage Lands, etc., etc.) all get introduced over-time, piecemeal, and gradually become a (semi-)coherent...or, at least, acceptable...whole. The first time the characters encounter Atlantis and Namor, it's like "wow...WTF?" But then, as a part of the setting, players can make USE of such things, as necessity demands ('where are we going to find an inter-dimensional gate device? let's call Reed Richards!').  This kind of thing happens all the time in a long-term D&D campaign...and your average comic book universe is just as wild and woolly (if not more so) than an average old school outing. "Gonzo" has nothing on Stan Lee.

But D&D is an easier start. You have its premise of treasure hunters. There's no need for a Big Bad, Sauron-esque figure. There are dungeons: go get 'em. Survive and thrive and the world will gradually grow up around the players, developing as needed to keep the adventure going. And the players will pursue that adventure because it is their livelihood...they need money to survive. To eat. To resupply. To train. To hire. All that jazz. The nuts and bolts of a living, 'real' (if imaginary and fantastical) world. 

The vast majority of supers RPGs? They don't worry about that stuff. It's abstracted because it's not primary to the gist, the premise of the supers game. We don't care whether Peter Parker can pay his rent...we care whether or not he can save Mary Jane from Doc Ock and still make it to Aunt May's 85th birthday (or whatever). Manufactured drama... like so many so-called "storytelling games," this is what is embraced by the superhero RPG. This is their sacred cow; long before 5E started D&D down the road of "not letting the rules get in the way of a good story," superhero RPGs were preaching this approach.

Mostly. There was at least ONE supers RPG that was still willing to dial up the cruft in order to simulate the granular reality of a super "reality." Even as it also went GM-fiat with regard to the reward structure including bonus points for "good roleplaying" (whatever the hell that means).

And so, once again we come back around to Kevin Siembieda (the guy whose sandwich AND beer I purchased) and his RPG opus Heroes Unlimited. A game that I have posted about ad nauseam on this blog, alway coming back to how much I dislike the system, the mechanics, the clunky-ness, the disorganized 'kitchen sink' approach to the whole damn thing. Despite Mr. Siembieda's overwhelming generative creativity, I have never wanted to do more than use the book as the base inspiration for a better game, a game with more elegant design, one that doesn't suck rocks. A game of my own, in other words. One of these day.

*sigh*  Isn't that the same damn thing I was saying about AD&D a decade ago?

Screw it. I really don't have the time to rewrite games, let alone write RPGs from scratch (even when my computer doesn't crash). Why not simply play the game as written, and worry about running the campaign with the system designed? Stop complaining and learn to love the bomb, so to speak. The system is pretty darn easy, after all. A thousand skills all working off a percentile system. A combat system that's both simple and fairly intuitive (so long as you've calculated all the bonuses/adjustments ahead of time); I'll bet with a little practice I could run it with something approaching the efficiency of AD&D. Probably.  And the dumb-dumb arbitrary advancement system? Just a cheat sheet, that I throw check marks in during the course of the game and add-up at the end of the session...easy-peasy. 

BUT...yes, yes, there is a "but" here...BUT there still remains the issue that keeps a supers RPG from functioning like a D&D campaign (or even a wargame like BattleTech): what's the motivation? Heroes aren't getting their hands dirty for money. Well, maybe if they're government operatives or something...but those in THAT boat would be hamstrung as far as being independent adventurers, constrained to "mission parameters." No, that is the antithesis of adventure gaming.

The fact is that (within the genre) the super-protagonists ARE motivated by all that heroic do-gooder stuff that is absolutely cringe and/or vomit-inducing when forced down the throats of D&D players. And, as with the premise of D&D, this isn't something that holds universal appeal for gamers. Not everyone is going to dig it. And, yet, that's the game. Do you want to be a heroic adventurer, finding a way to fight crime and super-villains while navigating the problematic aspects of your secret double-life? Because that's the game...and if that's not your cup of tea, no sweat, but that's what we're doing. 

It's a different type of RPG...pure and simple. It certainly was back in my old Marvel Superhero days. That was almost all "soap opera" (compared to AD&D) with far fewer fights and battles and far more situation and relationship challenges. Vampire was a tad scrappier (it really depended on the players involved in the various 'sagas' I ran) but, again, a different animal then D&D. A sillier animal, if I'm being honest...and that's saying something.

I digress. The point is long-term campaign play for a supers game has to be considered in terms of a different foundation modeled on the "universes" of various comic companies. And yet, it requires many of the same tenets as are needed for an AD&D campaign...not genre emulation and attention/championing of tropes. But the same serious mind, iron fist, hard limits, rules of engagement, allowance of metagaming, etc., etc.  that is part-and-parcel to running a successful AD&D game...it's got to apply here, too, no? Regardless, I find that I'm willing to give it a try. Call it curiosity...or the thought that doing something different is better than repeating the same madness and expecting results to change.

That's where I'm at; that's what I'm thinking. I own (and have read) Aaron Allston's Strike Force, detailing his eight year Champions campaign. I own (and have read) some of the comic versions of Martin's Wild Card stories, ostensibly based on his own Superworld campaign. I remain unconvinced that these are quite the thing I'm looking for...again, I am NOT trying to tell stories with my RPGs or explore what it "means" to be "super," or the psychology of characters, or their personal story arcs of discovery, redemption, revenge, or what-have-you. Instead, I want to run a world that my players can live in. I'm not sure that will fly, but I haven't yet attempted the thing.

For my daughter: I wonder if this is what she's looking for in a game. She likes superheroes (comics, TV, and film versions) but not ALL superheroes. She's not a fan of the Avengers films (for example) feeling that all they are is one fight after another, which is samey-same boring. On the other hand, she dug the Thunderbolts film, because she felt there was more story going on and more "interesting" (I think she means "psychology-based") stuff to explain the show's conflicts. Heroes Unlimited has some tools that help this kind of campaign (i.e. "world") development...which I will discuss in a later post. 

BECAUSE, as is, this post has gone on for a looong time. And I'm sure it's bored some folks and felt idiotic and meandering (or even misguided) to others. That's okay, by the way...I just wanted to write something for Ye Old Blog, and showing people where my head is (currently) at and the sick way I migrate from one thought to another in the gaming realm is...well, it's what I do. 

Nothing more concrete tonight (er, today. It's Monday morning at this point). I'm calling it. But I'll keep folks posted with updates, as I can. 

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment