Monday, December 7, 2015

Turning A Corner

I'm back in Paraguay. As before, my time in Seattle feels like it was much too short, and even has a "dreamlike" quality to it...as if I just woke up from a long siesta and I never left this land of red earth.  Or "the Land of Cucaraches," as my son calls it.

However, something's different...I feel, well, not exactly happy, but...what? Satisfied? Different, certainly. As if I was suffering though the Five Stages of Grief these last two years, and I've finally moved into the final stage: acceptance. There's no anger, no depressed resignation, certainly no bargaining going on. I've come to truly accept where I am (and just what Paraguay is), and I'm on board with it. You probably won't hear me making complaints like I have been the last couple years. Well, not at the same rate anyway.
; )

We actually got in yesterday morning, after a two day stop at our nation's capitol (well, my nation's capitol: Washington D.C.). Got a chance to watch the Seahawks shellac the Vikings and see the remains of destruction left from a three day storm that killed a bunch of people in Asuncion, including a two month old baby. Third world problems...they tend to trump most of the petty concerns of the average American. Anyhoo...

I've got a lot of different things I want to talk about, but I probably won't get back to regular posting till Wednesday. The baby's up (though she's mostly entertaining herself at the moment), and tomorrow's a national holiday (for Paraguay), so it will be mostly family time (and getting ready for a holiday trip to Mexico after that). Still, I'll try to get some things up as I can. Though I'll warn you right now, I want to write some stuff about superheroes.

Ope...the other kid is awake. Got to go...can't neglect my parenting duties forever!

3 comments:

  1. Someday, for no particular reason, just because I have a biological compulsion to be curious, I'd like to know how you wound up in Paraguay and what in hell you're doing there.

    I have a theory from your Linked-In profile, but it's a guess at best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Alexis:

      I have a "linked-in" profile?

      My wife's work takes her here. Due to the amount of travel time required and the age of our children (one was in utero when the contract started), we felt it would be best for our family to move here. Financially, it's about the same (I had to quit my job, but she got a pay raise), but it allows us all to be together.

      The current plan is to return to our home in Seattle in June, but that's subject to change. Meanwhile, I try to keep shit together and write when I have time.

      Delete
  2. Someday, for no particular reason, just because I have a biological compulsion to be curious, I'd like to know how you wound up in Paraguay and what in hell you're doing there.

    I have a theory from your Linked-In profile, but it's a guess at best.

    ReplyDelete