Sunday, August 8, 2010

Give me a reason...or a hundred!

You folks ever hear this one?

A cleric, a fighter, and a halfling all walk into a bar. The fighter asks the cleric...um, you doing anything Saturday? See, there's this dungeon thingy we were thinking of exploring...

Meanwhile the halfling is jumping up and down behind a table, waving his hands and trying to get their attention...


So many times, so many games, there's no reason given as to why a particular group of player characters are together. For good reason...there ain't nothing in the rules about it. The rules give you the ability to create "fantasy character" for your "fantasy game setting." Depending on what game (or edition) you're playing, most rules for the character creation process are fairly ego-centric...meaning they focus on the player making the character and who cares what anyone else is doing, anyway?

I mean, there are certainly SOME games that link player characters (more or less) during the chargen process. The latest Mongoose Traveller has some very wishy-washy links that might be rolled up during the "career phase." Amber requires everyone to be present from the get-go to determine how players relate to each other in their dysfunctional family. And TMNT gave players the option to be a small ninja band of the same species, a la their title characters.

But most games? Simply rely on players to "figure it out together" based on some sort of group consensus. Or worse (to me) rely on the GM/DM to answer the question, 'how and why exactly did these particular characters come together? What's their relationship to each other?'

Even Ars Magica, pioneer of "troupe style play" (whatever the hell that means to you) doesn't do much other than give the group a shared base of operations (the Covenant house) and an over-arching Order/Tribunal (just like the Camarilla!...). It doesn't tell you why these particular magi from different houses decided it would be just fine and dandy to co-exist together...and offers nothing at all as to why the Companions would have any links to these peculiar recluses.

Welp, I'm kind of sick of it all (though maybe I'm just grumpy 'cause it's August and it's been raining all weekend...). Personally, when I sit down at a gaming table (as I'll be doing in a bit less than three hours today), I have two goals in mind:

- I want to start play (i.e. "start having fun") quickly, AND
- I want to have the potential for actual role-playing.

And part of the latter means knowing the relationship of the player characters to each other.

Oh, sure...this can certainly develop IN PLAY, OVER TIME (at least if you're playing a non-4th edition version of D&D)...but why wait? And yet, sitting around the table for 60 minutes before hand kind of cuts into the first and primary objective (i.e. getting to the actual play)...and yet how else is one to do it? There just hasn't been a way for players to get to know each other...well, besides the ubiquitous "oh you all meet in a bar while scrounging for want ads" approach (which might be okay for 1st level characters, but even then it gets old after re-booting three or four times). Wouldn't it be nice if there was a handy little game mechanic or random table one could use? Too bad there hasn't been one.

Until now!

Once again, ol' JB has a random chart for my faithful readers (and for myself...I plan on using this in today's game). It works like this:


THEN, when your players are all seated around the table, each rolls D% to determine the relationship of their character with the player sitting to their right. The player sitting to the left of the DM rolls for the player sitting to the right of the DM (unless the DM has some prominent NPC in the party, than he might check that as well...it's not necessary since the DM usually creates reasons for NPCs to be around...I hope!).

By doing this, you should create at least two relationships, possibly more (if the guy to my left is my brother, and the gal to his left is my sister, than she's MY sister, too). That's enough to start the ball rolling...everyone else in the party is simply the proverbial "friend-of-a-friend" until you've developed a working relationship in-game.

But at least now you'll care more when the dude with whom you once shared a prison cell falls into a spiked pit. Oh, no!
: )

14 comments:

  1. These might come in handy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I'm thinking about ret-conning my campaign using this chart! If everyone rolls for the guy on their right, that links the whole group together two ways. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two fighters walk into a bar.

    The third fighter makes his DEX roll and ducks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting! I just made a smaller table allmost for the same purpose to start a new campaign. My table, with only 20 keys, is 'why did you left the Kingdom to go to the Borderlands ?'- with reasons like taste for glory, lost love, and so on. So, I think I will use this one as being complementary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Nic: Please do! My list makes no mention of motivation (though some might suggest themselves in the love/hate/rivalries). I think "motivation" is highly dependent on class and alignment, and would want more specific tables for that.
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Jeff: I'm glad you think so. I've sure got a lot of great ideas from YOUR blog!

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks a lot for the pop-up with auto-play "You are today's winner" audio and the redirect to Bloomberg.com... I better not have gotten a virus while my browser was hanging. It's 59 kilobytes, I think you coulda swung hosting it yourself. I'm just taking my anger out on you because I knew better than to click it, closed the window and then I couldn't resist and went back... pretty cool list and on a topic all new players sorely need.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Noumenon: Sorry...I don't have the capacity to host these docs, which is why I use mediafire. However, I've never had a problem with viruses and such from their site (in fact, I *don't* get any pop-ups from the link, besides the download one...but there IS an ad for Bloomberg that I wouldn't click on!).

    I'm glad you liked the list anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used this as a starting point to make a similar kind of generator for Old School Hack (though it is system neutral, really.) Thanks for the great inspiration.

    http://fictivefantasies.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/why-are-characters-together.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey JB. What is the licensing on this table? Can we use it in pay products? Free to download products?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just credit me with it if you put it in something: say "taken from Jonathan Becker's 'The Complete B/X Adventurer'".,.which is where it is currently in published form.
      : )

      Delete
  11. I used this in my group recently, new campaign, and WOW! It REALLY made my players wake up and take notice. Far, far more creative than "You meet in a tavern during one of its' hourly fist fights. An old man with one eye sells you a map to a dungeon with treasure." They really liked it. Laughter all around, really encouraged rollplaying (new, enthusiastic players that aren't jaded with the whole thing, helped too).

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ DW:

    Glad to hear new folks are finding it useful! That was kind of the point.
    : )

    ReplyDelete