Monday, November 6, 2023

Chewie

I am posting this today to mark the passing of my last "running beagle," Chewbacca ("Chewie"). Sixteen and one-half years she was with us...longer than either of my human children...she was a dear pet and great comfort to my wife and I through countless hard times. 

I could eulogize her for thousands of words, but suffice is to say she was greatly loved by my family and she will be greatly missed.  It is amazing the impact the loss of a simple animal can have. It is amazing the joy that they bring into one's home.

This has been a rough year. It hasn't been six months since I buried my mother. My grandmother died shortly thereafter (her funeral service was in September). Other family members (an uncle, an aunt) have also passed in 2023...though their absences leave far smaller holes to fill than the others mentioned. 

The passing of my dog...is hard. I told my son this morning that (perhaps) God has made humans (and pets) mortal so that we can have a greater appreciation for each other, so that we can cherish each other more and the limited time we have on this plane of existence. We have to love...and not take for granted...the precious time we have. 

He was still sad. But he understands.

For my daughter, it is somewhat easier. For her, Chewie is running and playing in heaven, no doubt eating treats provided by Grandma, and enjoying her reunion with her brother, Buddy.

It's been pouring rain for a couple days now, which does little to lighten my melancholy mood. But it is appropriate. And comforting in its own way.

That's all for today. God bless.



7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for your loss. Pets can be greatly loved and greatly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no words that can express how sorry I truly am for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear. Condolences on your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My deepest and sincerest condolences. As you know, I love dogs and I am especially fond of Beagles. The loss of a pet is the loss of a family member.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard. We connect with the animals. Hurts a ton.

    ReplyDelete