Tuesday, August 23, 2016

All My Life In A Bag

I leave Paraguay, almost certainly for the last time, on Thursday night. It's exciting and nerve-wracking and bittersweet all at the same time.

My son is VERY excited to be going back to Seattle. He is at a good age to do it...he'll certainly miss his friends (he has several good ones here), but the sting will be a lot less than when he's older. How many school chums from kindergarten do you remember and pine for?

This is "me."

It's a little surreal seeing my bag packed. We have a single suitcase for each of us (plus a couple carry-ons with diapers and clothes for a short stint in Panama), and it needs to include all our clothes, shoes, and toys (including books and DVDs). That I could fit my entire life from here into a single bag...wow. Actually, it's not so strange that I have so little to pack (the bulk of my possessions remain in Seattle with my beagles). No, it's that I was able to exist down here for so many years with so little of the "stuff" I consider essential. My house back in the States may be ready for a serious purging of the extraneous upon our arrival.

Of course, not EVERYTHING is going in the big bag. The really important essentials will be going with me in my trusty backpack:

My research books.

I doubt I'll have time to blog anything more before I get back to the US of A...and even then I'll be doing a shit-ton of "transitioning" (getting Diego settled in school and Sofia in some type of daycare arrangement in addition to job searching). But I'll be "making the rounds" and trying to keep abreast of the blog-o-sphere as much as possible.

Wish me luck, folks.

18 comments:

  1. Best of luck to you! Also, thanks for posting this; with the interval between posts, I had a minor worry that something bad might have happened to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry...didn't mean to scare anyone. Yep: I'm still around.
      ; )

      Delete
    2. Most of us, I think, remembered that you were moving in August. We can imagine what a busy time it's been.

      Delete
  2. Your real "whole life" will be sitting beside you in their seats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bon voyage! Hope the move goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to your blog as usual, and happy to see you coming home to the USA. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea to get back before the wall goes up ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The road goes ever on and on ... safe travels JB!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Safe trip and welcome back to the Evergreen State!

    ReplyDelete
  8. glad you're back!

    btw, "stuff" is very rarely, if ever, "essential". :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best of luck with the move, good to see you blogging again...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man, no posts in quite some time. Hope the move was successful and everything is okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Randolph:

      I'm back, safe and sound. Just been getting settled the last month or so.
      ; )

      Delete