Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Complete B/X Adventurer

Now available from Running Beagle Games:


The Complete B/X Adventurer is a gaming supplement for use with your B/X (and B/X compatible retro-clones) fantasy adventure game. It contains new material for use with your B/X game...material designed to inspire and add to your existing fantasy campaign, almost all of it for the player character (PC)...though certainly there is good fodder for any Dragon Masters worthy of the name "DM."

The book is 62 pages, most of which is content: new classes, new spells, new character options, rules for fleshing out beginning characters. Long-time readers of the blog will recognize some of this material...part of what prompted me to write it was input from readers asking me to collect some of this material into a single volume. This I have done (with some tweaks), as well as adding a bunch of other material.

The bulk of the book is new B/X classes, including five new spell-casting classes. Nearly half of the book is devoted to spell lists and and there are more than 110 new spells (not counting reverse spells). To put that in perspective, the original B/X books contained only 106 spells...and each of the new spell-casting classes has a unique method of using magic, not simply being limited to "divine" or "arcane" spell-casting types.

Other than the spell-casters, there are a dozen other classes for a total of 17. Most of these are human adventurer-types; three are demihumans. They represent adventuring archetypes found in fantasy fiction that are not already represented in B/X (nor are they found in the Advanced Edition Companion for Labyrinth Lord published by Goblinoid Games). All have information for including them at Basic, Expert, or even Companion level adventurers, so you can use them "right out of the box." However, if playing classes above 14th level, one will want to invest in a copy of my B/X Companion or a similar fantasy game detailing high level adventures. Indeed, some of the higher level spells available make reference to material found in the B/X Companion; if you don't already own a copy of that book, you can download a PDF (for half price!) from RPGNow.com.

To purchase a copy of The Complete B/X Adventurer, simply click on the PayPal button to the right. The price includes shipping & handling, and now that I'm going to be a legitimate Washington State business, I'll worry about the sales tax for Washington residents. You'll notice the price per book has gone up from (by $1) from the cost of the last book...that's because shipping costs have increased. As before, Canadian buyers get a break on the deal and, yes, you're all very welcome.

Cover art is by Brian DeClercq, just to head off any questions on that score. Interior art is done by a number of local artists, plus Kelvin Green. They all have my very great thanks (and copies of the book).
: )

23 comments:

  1. Awesome!

    Any chance of seeing a PDF of this one too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I'll be looking forward to the pdf of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any chance of a table of contents. My budget's a bit slim and would like to know what I'd be getting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Ian on this one JB. Can you give us a full list of the classes? Maybe a one sentence overview of each? Based on the strength of the Companion, I expect I'll pick this up too, but I'd like to know a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Ian and Koren: I'll try to get a PDF of the table o contents uploaded later today. However, off the top of my head the new classes are:

    Acrobat, Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastmaster, Bounty Hunter, Centaur, Duelist, Gnome*, Mountebank, Mystic*, Ogre-Kin, Scout, Summoner*, Tattoo Magus*, Witch*, Witch Hunter.

    Spell-casters are listed with an "*" though several of the other classes have spell-like abilities.
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, you're killin' me here JB. Another take on the Bard, Beastmaster, Duelist & Scout all sound cool, and freakin' tattoo magic? How cool is that?!
    How much will the PDF be? Not sure I can drop $30 right now, what with going to Gencon...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will there be a pdf available from RPGNow like the B/X Companion which is excellent and bought the day it was out on pdf. If so, you have another sale right here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I already bought the book yesterday, but I'd gladly shell out more cash for the pdf today. ;)

    Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  9. JB I'm curious to know when you will be able to start shipping these. - Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Ghost:

      The first batch went out in the mail today. I'll be hitting the post office next on Monday.
      ; )

      Delete
    2. Well it has arrived! Very quick shipping and a quick glance through makes me believe I will be pleased. On the bad side it looks like someone sat on it. The fold and creases will sort out after I stack it under some books but the torn spine will not. Not your fault just wish it was in better shape.

      Delete
  10. @ Ghost:

    Extremely sorry to hear that, man. Hope you find the contents of the book to be worth the trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi,
    I just bought a copy 'cause it seems cool from Grognardia's review. But he had this to say:
    "However, unless my aging eyes deceive me, there is no indication of how much damage each type of firearm does under these rules."
    I can make 'em up if I have to, that's not a big deal. But are the damage numbers in there?
    Thanks,
    Legion

    ReplyDelete
  12. This seems to indicate a desire for a PDF. I'll be different, an ddesire an epub.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You really need to do a re-print of the B/X Companion original.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just wondering if there's a PDF version of The Complete B/X Adventurer for sale??

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Doc:

    Not at the moment. Sorry! However, there ARE still print copies available.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello,
    July 15, 2014 I bought from you a copy of The Complete B / X Adventurer with paypal, after 10 days I still have not received any information regarding the availability and the eventual shipment, so please let me know something soon.
    Thank you
    Charles Camprini
    P.S. my email is: carlo.camprini61 @ virgilio.it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Carlo:

      Please see the email sent to you July 15th (from Running Beagle Games) regarding the problem with your order.
      : )

      Delete
  17. So, any chance of the PDF seeing daylight? I'd really like to pay you for a copy ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Outlander (and everyone else):

      See today's post. PDF is now available for purchase.
      : )

      Delete