Saturday, September 12, 2026

Game Day

Nope. Not football. Futbol.

The school soccer season kicks off today...this will be my 4th season coaching my daughter's team, my tenth year coaching my kids, and my second-to-last year (probably) coaching youth soccer. As usual, I'm all keyed up, the adrenaline starting to pump as soon as I hade even a modicum of wakefulness at 6:30am (the wife holding a rather loud conversation in her sleep)...despite being up past midnight working on the game plan.

This season got off to a rough start, it's still a little rough, but I've done my best to iron things out. It hasn't been particularly easy.

Started a few weeks ago when I discovered that my team had been put in the 8th grade division this year (our team of 21 kids are 7th graders). I thought this was just a simple mistake, easily corrected. Nope. Turns out the school only had five 8th grade girls registered for soccer and so, rather than find them homes with other schools (the usual practice), or figure out what happened to all the players who they played with last year (another option), the Athletic Director decided to combine our grades and make us play up a year....basically selling our season. Without any communication or prior discussion with me (the coach) or anyone else on the team.

[at this age, an extra year of size, strength, speed, experience, and training makes a BIG difference in soccer]

I won't bother detailing all the rigamarole that ensued. Suffice is to say, a little legwork on my part turned up another 4-5 kids that had been left off the roster (mostly 8th graders) and we ended up NOT being able to get our old division back nor even split our (now monstrously-sized team) into two. At least the league gave us a dispensation that allows us to remain "playoff eligible" despite exceeding the player limits for normal roster construction (we had 31 players till a couple dropped out).

I'm just required to document all their minutes played to ensure equitable playtime. Reports due before 8am, Monday morning after every game.  (*sigh*)

Then there's my assistant coach. Well, one of them. Diego's also assisting and he, of course, is a great boon. But we've got a dad volunteer who...let's just say his coaching style is different from mine. And tends to center on his daughter a bit. And tends to make her a bit insufferable and insubordinate. It's rubbing Diego the wrong way...but that's how a lot of parent-coaches are (I've explained to him). The whole reason I ended up with the gig four years ago was because half the girls were going to quit playing (including my daughter) because of a similar coach. 

Anyway, I'm coach now (the Big Cheese), and I pride myself in my retention rate. That's part of why our enrollment's gone up every year (we only had 18 last season)...kids keep coming back to play.

In considering it, I'm not sure if my Dungeon Mastering has informed my coaching, or if my coaching has informed my Dungeon Mastering over the years. I have a remarkably similar approach to both, so there's probably some correlation between the two. But I wasn't DMing for kids (as an adult) 9 or 10 years ago...really that's only been about seven years. And when I was DMing 15 years ago, I had no idea I'd ever be coaching kids sports in any way, shape, or form.

Maybe it's just my nature to be a compassionate hard-ass?

Because that's pretty much my style. There's not a lot of goofing at practices. It's drills. It's me critiquing what they do wrong (and praising what they do right). It's me barking at them a lot. It's me taking the time to explain our strategy and tactics and WHY we are doing things in a particular way. 

Because they're smart kids. They get it...if you explain it. For the most part. But even the ones who can't grasp the overall picture can understand their ROLE in that picture, if you spare a couple minutes and give them some attention. I say I'm compassionate...and I am...but perhaps it's more about patience

Eh. Maybe not (see the bit about barking at them on the field).

Well, whatever it is. They seem to be having fun...well, what passes for MY version of "fun." There's a new kid (new for me...she's an 8th grader) who has an "ankle issue" and has a hard time doing laps or running sprints (she's overweight and slow, even without the ankles) and whose mom told me is "not very competitive" and just wants to be here with her BFF (who is also "not very competitive"). And, yet, she takes a bus across town to get to practice and she DOES run the laps and DOES run the sprints, and darned if she hasn't shown some tenacity in tackling and winning balls in our scrimmages, even against the faster "club" players on our team. It's just about not ignoring the kid...I treat her the same as the others: encouraging her when she does good, critiquing her (telling her to "hustle up," mostly) when she needs critique, and letting her know she's a contributor, just like everyone else. Not just turning a blind eye and focusing on the "good players." I coach up ALL the kids. 

Anyway, the club players aren't always available anyway (because a lot of families prioritize their expensive soccer clubs over their school teams when there's a schedule conflict), so it's just plain survival to get the best out of every player who shows up. 

I'm a competitive guy. I like soccer; I want to play more soccer. And that means, once again, shooting to reach the playoffs, so that we get extra games. Knock on wood, but I've never missed getting to the playoffs with any team I've coached...I'm 5-for-5.

This season, though, is going to be a bitch. Or...just maybe...it will be our greatest triumph?

Hahaha...no it's far more likely to be the former. But damn it, we're going to pull together, and we're going to suffer together, and we're going to have a damn good time suffering together! Just like a party of D&D adventurers getting their asses handed to them in some dungeon where they're in over their skis. 

Yeah, there's a lot of "bleed through" with my hobbies.

Our first game (today) is against a school that is, traditionally, the Big Bad Bully of the league...they won't be Tomb of Horrors tough, more like Steading of the Hill Giants tough. We'll see how well I can DM us through this mess. We're down six of our best (club) players for the first half, and we'll only be getting two back in the second (and losing another). Imagine if an adventuring party had to play the game without their best magic-user and one cleric down...and then you got the cleric back (with half her spells and hit points depleted) midway through the adventure only to see your other cleric disintegrated. Yeah, like that.

*sigh*

I'm silly; I know. The goal here is to have healthy, happy, active kids running around in the fresh air, getting their heart rates up, and not getting injured. Just like [my] goal with D&D is getting kids away from their screens for a few hours and getting them to use their imaginations and reasoning skills and (safely) getting their heart rates up. Oh yeah...and helping them learn cooperation and teambuilding and sportsmanship, yadda-yadda-yadda...in both activities.

Mm. Yeah. Just keep the vision.

All right, that's enough for this morning...a bit of insight into where my head's at. Yeah, the rest of the world's in flames at the moment, I'm well aware, but right now my attention is a little more local, focusing on the things I can control, the 30ish kids I can impact. Hopefully in a positive fashion. 

Have a good weekend, folks. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment